INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
- INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
- When Indian National Congress was formed?
- LEADERS DURING THE FORMATION OF INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
- What was the Approach of Indian National Congress?
- List of President of Indian National Congress-(1885-1948) along with the Place of meeting
- Who were the Female Presidents of Indian National Congress?
- SELECT OPINION ABOUT INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
When Indian National Congress was formed?
- In December 1884, Allan Octavian Hume, an Englishman and retired civil servant, presided over a private meeting with 17 men after a Theosophical convention in Madras. Hume had to get the approval of the then Viceroy Lord Dufferin to hold the meeting.
- The idea of forming the Indian National Congress was conceived in this meeting. At the time of foundation, the party’s objective was to obtain a greater participation for educated Indians in the government and to create a forum where political dialogues among educated Indians and the British Raj could be arranged. Hume’s main purpose was probably to provide a ‘safety valve’ to the growing discontent among the educated Indians.
- The first meeting of the Congress was scheduled to take place at Poona (now Pune).
- The conference received the unanimous support of all Indian leaders, However, due to a cholera outbreak, the event was shifted to Bombay (now Mumbai).
LEADERS DURING THE FORMATION OF INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
Other important leaders during foundation of Indian National Congress were Dadabhai Nairoji, Badrudin Tyabji, Aiyyar, Dinshaw Vacha, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Mahadev Govind Ranade, Madan Mohan Malviya, Anand Mohan Bose,R.R.Dutt, Ferozshah Mehta, G.K.Gokhale, G. Subramaniyam.
What was the Approach of Indian National Congress?
- From 1885 onwards the INC met every year and its cause spread rapidly among the middle class Indians.
- There were 72 members to attend the first session of Indian National Congress.
- The approach of Indian National Congress Leaders for first two decades i.e. 1885-1905 was quite moderated and was confided in British justice and generosity.
- Due to the repressive measures of the British gave rise to extremists with in congress like Bipin Chander Pal, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, and Lala Lajpat Rai, the trio also known as Lal, Bal, Pal along with Aurobindo Ghosh.
- Though Indian National Congress Made a very humble beginning, yet it gradually developed in to a powerful organisation. Indian freedom struggle was started with the birth of Indian National Congress
List of President of Indian National Congress-(1885-1948) along with the Place of meeting
|1885, 1882||Bombay, Allahabad||Womesh Chunder Bonnerjee|
|1887||Madras||Badruddin Tyyabji (fist Muslim President)|
|1888||Allahabad||George Yule (first English President)|
|1889||Bombay||Sir William Wedderburn|
|1890||Calcutta||Sir Feroze S.Mehta|
|1895, 1902||Poona, Ahmedabad||S.N Banerjee|
|1907, 1908||Surat, Madras||Rasbehari Ghosh|
|1916||Lucknow||A.C Majumdar (Re-union of the Congress)|
|1917||Calcutta||Annie Besant (first woman President)|
|1920||Calcutta (Special Session)||Lala Lajpat Rai|
|1921,1922||Ahmadabad, Gaya||C.R Das|
|1923||Delhi (Special session)||Abdul Kalam Azad (youngest President)|
|1925||Kanpur||Sarojini Naidu (first Indian woman President)|
|1928||Calcutta||Motilal Nehru (first All India Youth Congress Formed)|
|1929||Lahore||J.L. Nehru (Poorna Swaraj Resolution was passed)|
|1931||Karachi||Vallabhbhai Patel (Here, resolution on Fundamental Rights and the National Economic Program was passed)|
|1932, 1933||Delhi, Calcutta||(Session Banned)|
|1937||Faizpur||J.L Nehru (first session in a village)|
|1938||Haripura||Subhash Chandra Bose (a National Planning Committed set-up under J.L Nehru).|
|1939||Tripuri||S.C.Bose was re-elected but had to resign due to protests by Gandhiji (as Gandhiji supported Dr. Pattabhi Sitaramayya). Rajendra Prasadwas appointed in his place.|
|1940||Ramgarh||Abdul Kalam Azad|
|1946||Meerut||Acharya J.B Kriplani|
|1948||Jaipur||Dr. Pattabhi Sitaramayya.|
Who were the Female Presidents of Indian National Congress?
|Year||Place||Name of Female President|
|1917||Calcutta||Smt. Annie Besant|
|1925||Kanpur||Smt. Sarojini Naydu|
|1933||Calcutta||Smt. Nalini Sen Gupta|
SELECT OPINION ABOUT INDIAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
|INC represents only a microscopic minorities||Lord Dufferin(Contempporary Viceroy)|
|INC should distinguished between begging and claiming the rights||Bal Gangadhar Tilak (Extremist Leader)|
|INC playing with bubbles||Bipin Chandra Pal|
|INC is a begging institute||Aurobindo Ghosh(Extremist Leader)|
|The congress is tottering to its fall, and one of my great ambitions, while in Inda, is to assist it to a peaceful demise.||Lord Curzon|